Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Dan Patrick leaving ESPN......how sad

So I turn on my radio today and flip through my USA Today to hear and see, almost everywhere, that Dan Patrick is leaving ESPN. I'm under the sneaky impression that this qualifies for National news? Are you serious? A former Sports Center and radio talk show host decides to leave the company he works for and its all over the National headlines? I'm not sure I've seen anything so foolish in my life.

Let's get one thing straight, Dan Patrick, in my eyes, is one of the most overrated sports personalities in my lifetime. You make a big deal out of the retirement of great, historically sport announcers, like Ernie Harwell and Jack Buck, to name a couple. But for a man that provides daily sports news and hosts a radio talk show, a quiet pat on the back and company farewell party will do. And save me the Sports Center is part of America nostalgia. At best, Patrick delivered us daily sports news with a slang based presentation. Sure, it was creative, far from professional, and after a few years, quite annoying.

His radio show was decent in the first couple of years when the likes of Sean Salisbury and Rob Dibble were co-hosts. But like many media heads, the room began to get to small for Dan until it was just him hosting the show. There is nothing worse in sports radio than a host talking with himself. Most of the time it just does not lend to great discussion nor debate.

So, my wish is that ESPN sends Dan off with a great farewell; however, I certainly hope I don't have to hear about his exit for the next month leading up to it. Dan Patrick is undoubtedly not worth the attention of the media. He may have made it cool to wake-up in college dorms across the country in the 90's and catch-up on the daily sports scene, but beyond that his legacy, in this man's eyes, is nothing more than the musical chair strategy used in sports media to drum up some ratings.

DP

No comments: